Friday, March 23, 2012

Introvert vs. Extrovert

Being introverted runs in the family, it seems.  My Mom is self-proclaimed introverted and shy, her mother was, and now, so am I.  For a long time, I was always that shy, quiet kid, and still am in many respects today.  Although I've grown a bit from how timid I used to be, it has always been a deeply-embedded part of my personality and psyche.  To put it honestly, I've for as long as I can remember been a bit embarrassed and somewhat ashamed by my natural timidity, but my insecurities were reassured when I saw the Time Magazine front cover "The Power of (Shyness)".  I wish I could link the article for you, but unfortunately it is only available to online subscribers.  I will attempt to seek out the most important, pertinent, and interesting quotes and ideas for you to get the full picture.

As you can imagine, this cover truly beckoned me.  I was very excited and intrigued to find that someone had written about this topic, and I'm sure some of you would have been too.  One of the first and important parts of the article included the differentiation between shy people and introverts.  Although I've sort of been using the terms as though they're synonymous, technically shy people are anxious about social situations and introverts just prefer to be alone more.  I deduced, however, that these two qualities probably go hand-in-hand.

The author, Bryan Walsh, says, "Simply being an introvert can also feel taxing--especially in America, land of the loud and home of the talkative" (42).  The article often references how we live in a world of extroverts, or very outgoing, gregarious, people.  It mentions some of the world's famous extroverts and introverts.  Take, for example, Joe DiMaggio and Mohandas Gandhi, both introverts, or Steve Jobs and Bill Clinton, both extroverts.  Although, as Walsh writes, there are ambiverts in the middle of the personality spectrum and usually people aren't completely one side or the other, it is often easy to see what bio-genetic tendencies people have.  The following questions are selected from a little mock personality quiz.  See if you or someone you know is an introvert or an extrovert:


  1. I prefer not to show my work or discuss it with other until it is finished
  2. I do my best work alone.
  3. I feel drained after being out and about, even if I've enjoyed myself.
  4. I concentrate easily.             
  5. People tell me that I'm a good listener.
It might be easy to tell the slant of these questions, but if you answered yes, that means you possess an introverted characteristic.  

It's ok if you did.  In fact, it should probably make you feel a little good because according to author of Quiet:  The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking in the article, "'Extroverts are much more likely to get really excited by the possibility of a reward, but because of that, they won't always pay attention to warning signals...Introverts are much more circumspect'" (44).  Also, the article quotes professor of psychology at Florida State University K. Anders Ericsson about other introversion benefits.  "'You gain the most on your performance when you work alone...And the introverted temperament might make some kids more willing to make that commitment'" (44). 

If you're reading this and feel bad that you or someone else you know is an extrovert, don't feel this way.  Extroverted people have a lot going for them, but are rarely overlooked, unlike introverts.  The pensive introspection that often comes with introverts can't be seen by others, yet many times it should be.  Introverts aren't just spacing out and ignoring society; more times than not they are thinking, and this can behoove a person every once and a while.  I don't mean to sound defensive or facetious, but it really is true.  Outgoing people, although they often probably would consider themselves right in many situations, can learn from quiet people and vice versa.  People are not locked in to one personality, and thank goodness for that.  To quote the last line of the article to end my piece, "I'm happy to be an introvert, but that's not all I am."      

1 comment:

  1. I find this very interesting, because I know that I am on both ends of this spectrum, depending on where I am. I tend to be more introverted with people I don't know very well. I'm also quieter at school than I am at my extracurricular activities. However, I do find myself to be much more outgoing when I am with my friends, or people I feel more comfortable around. I'm sure a lot of people feel this same way, which definitely supports the argument of the article. I can also see that there are both positives and negatives in being an introvert or an extrovert.

    ReplyDelete